Roses are capricious plants. Their successful cultivation depends on the correct and timely fertilization. Knowing the nuances will help not only help flowers bloom profusely, but also not harm them.
- Fertilizer for roses
- How to fertilize roses in spring?
- How to fertilize roses for lush flowering?
Fertilizer for roses
When choosing a suitable place for growing, you need to think about the introduction of nutrients, which can be organic and mineral. There are two ways of feeding: root and foliar.
The choice of fertilizers is huge, and you need to understand why a rose needs a certain substance:
- Nitrogen. Responsible for creating abundant green mass. If you add a lot of it, then the rose will have strong shoots, but the peduncles are few. Nitrogen feeding should not be abused - especially observe the measure with it.
- Phosphorus. It is necessary for the formation of peduncles and flower buds. The development of a flower and stems, the number of flowers depends on the introduction of phosphorus. If the complex of mineral fertilizers contains phosphorus, but there is no potassium, then there will be no benefit from phosphorus.
- Magnesium. It is quickly washed away by rains and melt water. The need for it increases during the laying of buds in roses.
- Iron. This element plays a leading role in the prevention of such a dangerous disease for roses as chlorosis.
Types of mineral fertilizers:
- Granules and dry powders.
- Pills. They dissolve in water, and a solution for foliar feeding is prepared from them.
- Liquid solution. Sold in a bottle as a ready-made solution. Used during the summer according to the nutrient schedule.
Before applying top dressing for roses, you must definitely understand their types and types.
How to fertilize roses in spring?
Organic and mineral fertilizers for rose bushes complement each other perfectly. The action of some is impossible without others. The main nutrition of flowers is carried out thanks to mineral feeding. Organic fertilizers decompose slowly and help the absorption of minerals better.
Experienced gardeners recommend the following sequence: first - mineral fertilizing, then - watering with organic matter.
- During the processing period in the spring at the beginning of growth.
- In the summer after the end of the first flowering to help the plant gain strength for the next round. It is impossible to determine the exact date here, it depends on the variety of roses.
When choosing a mineral dressing, pay attention to the composition. It should contain nitrogen, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron and other trace elements that play a secondary role.
If you are using a liquid fertilizer, be sure to water the plant when the soil is wet. If the soil is dry, the roots of the flower may be burnt.
Mineral fertilizers are evenly distributed over the surface of the entire soil around the roses, and then the soil is slightly processed with a hoe.
Mulching plays a huge role in caring for roses. It helps to retain heat and moisture in the soil, protects the root system and improves the aesthetic appearance of the shrub.
The principle of mulching is that a bucket of garden compost is scattered around the rose bush. If your site does not already have a compost pit, we recommend that you consider creating one. This is a great way to get your own organic fertilizer.
To avoid conspicuous compost around the rose, sprinkle it with chopped decorative bark. In flower shops it is sold ready-made. Mulching elements should not cover the base of the stem of the rose.
It is necessary to fertilize roses correctly, as this affects their favorable development.
How to fertilize roses for lush flowering?
Abundant flowering of rose bushes is the dream of every gardener. The main thing is that everyone can do it. Let's go back to basics and focus on fertilizing roses before planting.
Roses are demanding on the fertility of the earth - they need minerals and humus. Pour 5 cm of humus at the bottom of the dug hole. Combine the excavated earth with superphosphate, potassium salt and humus. Stir this mix, fill a hole with it, and pour it over. Rose seedlings are planted in a prepared place after 2 weeks. Preliminary soil preparation is the key to lush flowering.
Some rose lovers are addicted to mineral fertilizers, forgetting about organic matter. It is necessary to improve soil fertility. Organic matter helps to attract earthworms, which are responsible for loosening the soil. This increases air penetration.
Organic fertilizing is applied in liquid form. Dry droppings or manure will burn the roots of flowers, especially when it comes to seedlings.
Do not forget to use foliar fertilization to obtain abundant flowering. It is carried out in warm cloudy weather with a special spray. This is done in the evening so that the droplets of the nutrient solution are gradually absorbed by the leaves, and not instantly evaporate in the sun.
Achieving abundant rose bloom is not easy. It is important to find an approach to your flower variety. To do this, use various methods and observe the result.
Fertilizing in the process of growing roses is a wide field for experimentation. Observe the measure, study feeding techniques and competently approach the process. Then you will enjoy the luxurious appearance and rich aroma of garden roses!
The video will tell you about fertilizing and feeding roses: