At any time of the year, you want to eat tomatoes that are not just tasty, but contain the necessary valuable vitamins for the body. This raises questions, is it possible to freeze tomatoes, how to do it correctly and what to cook then.
- Can tomatoes be frozen, benefits
- What fruits to choose for freezing, how to prepare
- What container can be used
- Frozen Tomato Recipes
Can tomatoes be frozen, benefits
Tomato is a delicious vegetable that is used to prepare a variety of dishes. In winter, it is quite difficult to find a fresh tomato, so they came up with freezing it.
This storage method has several advantages:
- significant savings in money in the winter. Fresh tomatoes at this time are not easy to find on store shelves, and if they are, then their price is too high for the average citizen;
- freezing can be done in a variety of ways, which allows you to use tomatoes in the future when preparing a variety of dishes;
- during such storage, the nutritional value of the product, appearance and taste are not lost;
- all useful vitamins and minerals are preserved in tomatoes;
- convenience of storage of workpieces;
- minimum time and effort spent on preparing the product for freezing;
- simplicity of recipes for storing tomatoes and preparing dishes from it;
- at a freezing temperature of -18 C, the storage period of a vegetable reaches 10 months.
It has been scientifically proven that tomatoes, like any other vegetables, can be frozen at an optimal temperature of -25 C, so as not to lose all the valuable properties of this product.
What fruits to choose for freezing, how to prepare
Freezing tomatoes at home requires choosing the right fruit and preparing them.
In order for the product to preserve as long as possible and delight you with its taste, you need to comply with the necessary conditions:
- the fruits must be intact, free from damage and rot. It is recommended to choose firm tomatoes with not very thick skin;
- according to the degree of maturity, it is better to take mid-season tomatoes. This will prevent them from leaking or crumbling when packed in freezer containers. The best are the "cream" tomatoes of the "Novichok" variety, the harvesting of which is best done in September - October;
- the size should be medium. This increases the storage time when frozen;
- tomatoes must be washed well in clean cold water to remove dust and possible bacteria on its surface;
- wipe off with a paper towel or soft kitchen towel to remove excess water that interferes with proper freezing;
- cherry tomatoes are frozen in the form of tomato puree. In this case, the fruits are pre-squeezed through a sieve or crushed using a blender, meat grinder;
- for certain dishes, tomatoes can be cut into rings with a thickness of 0.7 mm for storage;
- you can freeze tomatoes in cubes or just slices, carefully slicing them with a sharp knife;
- there is a method of freezing fruits with preliminary peeling. For this, a cruciform incision is made in the upper part of the tomato. Then they are dipped in boiling water for 1 minute, and then quickly transferred to cold water. After 10 sec. Take out and gently pry the skin with a knife.
These methods of preparing fruits do not require special skills, so any housewife will cope without any problems.
What container can be used
Different storage containers are used depending on what kind of dish you want to cook in winter:
- you can freeze tomatoes in slices or cubes. They are laid out on disposable plastic plates or a tray, previously covered with cling film. With this method, it is important to lay out the fruits in one layer in order to avoid them freezing to each other and losing their integrity when defrosting. After partial freezing, the tomatoes are carefully transferred to special plastic containers;
- You can freeze pizza tomatoes with thin slices. They, as in the previous case, are placed on a tray and left for about 2 hours in the freezer. Then they are stacked in plastic bags or plastic containers. It will be better if there is no air left in the bag, i.e. a vacuum effect will be created;
- Cherry tomato puree is poured into special molds. Do not pour to the brim, as the puree will expand when frozen.
It is important to remember not to re-freeze tomatoes. Therefore, it is better to put in the container the amount of product that will be needed to prepare one or more dishes at a time.
Frozen Tomato Recipes
Storing a vegetable in this way allows you to cook a lot of all kinds of dishes, from various sauces to first and second courses. Therefore, recipes with frozen tomatoes are very popular.
Soup using tomato puree
For cooking you will need:
- unpeeled shrimp -1 kg;
- tomato puree - 2 tablespoons;
- 2 onions;
- 1 carrot;
- half a lemon;
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine;
- 2 bunches of parsley or dill;
- Bay leaf;
- black peppercorns;
- cloves - 5-6 pieces;
The water is boiled, and bay leaves, salt, pepper, and coarsely chopped lemon are added. Chop the onion, three carrots on a fine grater and sauté in vegetable oil with the addition of tomato puree.
Then we throw the shrimps into the boiling water, and after a few minutes sauté.
Add finely chopped herbs, cloves and wine. After boiling, boil for 15 minutes. We take out the shrimps and serve on a separate plate. The resulting broth can be eaten as a soup or used as a sauce.
Tomato rings are very convenient to use when making pizza. For example, they are placed on top of meat before baking in the oven or added to the bottom layer of pizza and then baked.
It is also very convenient to add tomatoes in this form to salads.
Frozen cubes or pieces are convenient for cooking sauté, borscht, stews, various vegetable or stews.
With this storage method, the fruits used will not lose their value. Therefore, frozen tomatoes are widely used in the preparation of the same dishes as fresh ones. In addition, freezing this way will save you money and time looking for fresh vegetables in winter.
Read more about freezing tomatoes, watch the video: